Maybe hundred of dollars.
Printer manufacturers are trying to limit your choice!
Printer manufactures are getting more and aggressive in trying to limit your choice of printer ink supplies. Their latest tactics are to automatically push firmware updates to your printer which can cause both original brand-name and compatible smart chips on the cartridge to stop working. This could leave your with new brand name cartridges that will not work.
The solution is simple. Just say no to all firmware updates and disable automatic updates for your printers. See our instructions below for your printer brand.
Disable EPSON Firmware
Make sure you do both steps. Both Printer and Computer.
1. On the printers LCD screen go to: Settings
2. Scroll down to: Firmware Update
3. Click on: Notifications
4. Click on : Off
5. Click on the “Home”
Computer – Windows
1. On your PC click on the start menu and search for the “Epson Software Updater” and open the program.
- Access the printer’s icon on the Windows taskbar.
- Right-click the icon to reveal the menu, then choose Software Update Settings.
- Set all update frequencies to Never.
- Be sure to repeat this on all Windows computers that have the printer software installed.
- Search for “Epson Software Updater” on the Windows search bar and open up the program.
- Select your printer model from the drop down menu and then select “Auto Update Settings”
- Select “Never” under the “Interval to Check” menu. To save your settings and exit, select “OK”.
Disable HP Firmware
Option 1 – From the printer monitor
“Setup”-> “Printer Maintenance”-> “Update the printer”-> Turn off automatic updates
“Web Services”-> “Settings”-> “Printer Update”-> Auto Update Off
On your Computer:
Step 1. When the HP Update prompt is displayed, select Settings (if shown).
Step 2. Select ‘Never’ under Notification software update frequency
Step 3. If your computer continues to display the HP Update prompt, select Cancel.
- Open HP update option. – Windows 10: Click Start, click All apps, click HP and click HP Update. …
- Click on the Settings button. The HP Update Settings popup will appear.
- Select Never and click on the OK button.
The default setting of your printer is usually checked for automatic firmware upgrade. This means that your printer will automatically install firmware upgrades without prompting and / or request consent from you. Once the firmware upgrade is completed, the next time you install a non- original cartridge, your printer may display a cartridge problem. This is to prevent you from using non-original cartridges. You absolutely have the right to use third-party cartridges in your printer. If your printer works fine with third-party cartridges and you want to continue using them, we recommend that you turn off the “Printer Update” function in your printer.
Please follow the instructions below:
#1 Confirm your printers IP address:
This can be found on the printer configuration page
You can print the config by the following menu options: OK > Setup > Reports > Print configuration page
o On the configuration page the IP address will be #8 under product settings.
Should be in a https://XX.X.X.XX format
#2 Enter your IP address into your web browser
o That will bring you to the below page.
o Select printer update
o Select Do not check for updates
o Select Apply
On your printer to go:
Setup > Service > Laser Jet Update > Next > Manage Updates > Allow Updates > Select “NO”
Prompt Before Install > Always Prompt
Check Automatically > Off
Press the Home button and your are done.
See video below.